What to Expect When Reporting

Reporting sexual misconduct is an individual decision. While the University encourages survivors to report misconduct, we recognize that it can be a challenging decision and may not be the right action for every survivor. The Title IX Office can talk with survivors about various reporting options, so they can make informed and thoughtful decisions. Meeting with a member of the Title IX staff does not mean you must file a complaint, or report to police. At the initial meeting, we will talk through reporting, interim measures, and safety, and make referrals to campus and community resources. To schedule a meeting with a Title IX Office staff member, please contact titleixcoordinator@pitt.edu or call 412-648-7860.

To understand in greater detail how the sexual misconduct reporting process works, please review this reporting process document (a plain text version is also available).

Beyond contacting Title IX, you may file a criminal complaint by contacting the Pitt Police (412-624-2121) or City of Pittsburgh Police (911).

Accused students or employees should know that the initiation of any University proceedings does not preclude the possibility of criminal charges. Indeed, parallel University and criminal proceedings are not uncommon. In addition to using these processes, the University will continue to engage in prevention programs and training for students, faculty, and staff in an effort to prevent sexual assault and harassment, relationship violence, and stalking.

Title IX and the University Counseling Center (UCC)

When Title IX refers a complainant to the UCC, we call and notify SHARE that we have a student on the way, walk them over, or instruct them to ask for SHARE services when they contact the UCC. 

Retaliation against anyone involved in the investigation of alleged incidents of sexual misconduct, whether they are the referring individual, a witness, an investigator or anyone else, is prohibited by Pitt’s Statement on Confidentiality and Non-retaliation. This statement also clarifies that all individuals involved in the investigation process are expected to honor the confidentiality of the process and the information involved.

Q: Does talking with the police mean I have to go through with a criminal case?

A: No. You may speak to the police without participating in a criminal case. It is possible the police will initiate an investigation based on safety concerns; however, the survivor can decide what level of involvement to have with any investigation.

Q: If I report a sexual assault, will my name become public? What happens to the information?

A: Your information is kept private. Depending on how you choose to proceed with reporting, you will have information and updates on how, if at all, your information may be shared with those involved in the reporting process. Additionally, an anonymous record of any on-campus assault will be provided for Pitt’s crime statistics in order to give an accurate representation of crime on campus and to help prevent further crimes of this nature.