Dismantling Oppressive Systems: Building Just Communities
July 26-29, 2021
“There is no hierarchy of oppression... I cannot afford the luxury of fighting one form of oppression only. I cannot afford to believe that freedom from intolerance is the right of only one particular group. And I cannot afford to choose between the fronts upon which I must battle these forces of discrimination, wherever they appear to destroy me. And when they appear to destroy me, it will not be long before they appear to destroy you.
– Audre Lorde
Diversity Forum 2021 – Dismantling Oppressive Systems: Building Just Communities – will address manifestations of the different forms of systemic oppression on individual, group, and institutional levels, and detail policies and practices to advance the well-being of individuals and groups who continue to experience oppression based on such factors as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, socio-economic status, and religious beliefs.
Fostering systemic equity to combat systemic oppression requires the engagement of an expansive coalition of institutional and community partners. This work requires individual commitments at all levels. Across communities, individuals must be invested in personal and communal development to assure transformational, systemic growth.
It takes intentional work, reflection, and dedicated resources to target the internalized, interpersonal, and structural ways that prejudice, implicit bias, and cultural blindness inform our interactions, practices, policies, and outcomes.
Diversity Forum 2021 aims to provide participants with explicit, clear, and direct articulation of what racial justice looks like and how to actuate intentional, meaningful change.
- Understand how our socialization informs our biases and positions us to perpetuate structural inequalities.
- Understand the barriers that inhibit us from expanding our diversity consciousness and fully embracing different cultures, perspectives, and people.
- Recognize the breadth of competencies necessary to engage and advance multicultural communities.
- Utilize an equity lens to analyze and revise policies and practices to foster equitable and just outcomes in our communities.
- Build communities of dialogue and support in acting against systemic oppression.
Call for Proposals
We welcome all members of the Pitt community, and community at-large, to submit virtual workshop proposals for the 2021 forum. The deadline to submit workshop proposals is Friday, May 14, 2021.