To our Veteran Affinity members:
I hope this letter reaches everyone in good health while we all continue to practice self-distancing.
This is a strange and challenging time. The Veteran Affinity board members as a whole is concerned about what the coronavirus pandemic means for our health, our livelihoods, our communities, and the security industry both in the short and long term. We are aware there is still a great deal of uncertainty, but Veteran Affinity board members are, as always, dedicated to making sure that our members have the information, resources, and support they need.
For the time being, we have postponed the bi-monthly meetings until further notice. However, our priority remains the same. The Veterans Affinity Group facilitates the inclusion of veterans, military members, and their families into the University Community by supporting recruitment, retention, comradery, and ongoing success in collaboration with like-minded organizations.
If your availability allows you to participate in an online communication format, please share photos, events, or words of encouragement at Pitt Commons.
To reach out to the board members for guidance, support, or to share your ideas send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wishing the membership, health and strength, the board members are thinking about you and your families. Stay Safe!
Veteran Affinity Chair
Shawn Ellies EdD, CPP
When I enlisted in the U.S. Army two months after the terror attacks of September 11th I had no idea that I would get more from my military experience than the honor of serving my country. I'm incredibly grateful to have found a community of battle buddies that have had my back even when times got tough.
Well, times are tough for a lot of us right now and we want you to know that we've got your six.
We've created the Pitt Vets Coronavirus Emergency Relief Fund to help members of our Pitt Vets community in this time of hardship.
Please review the eligibility requirements below and send us an email to email@example.com if you are experiencing a need.
If you know of a veteran outside of The University of Pittsburgh that is in need please refer them to PA Serves for potential support.
Hail to Pitt!
This We'll Defend!
Office of Veterans Services
PITT VETS CORONAVIRUS
EMERGENCY RELIEF FUND
Examples of Expenses Covered (not limited to)
- Medical necessities.
- Food insecurity.
- Overdue utility bills reaching a turn-off notice.
- Homelessness, sudden loss of housing, or imminent eviction.
- Financial hardship - could include inability to pay rent and/or utilities, food insecurities, etc.
- Up to $500 may be requested.
- Demonstrate financial hardship.
- Must not have received CARES funds.
- Was enrolled as a full-time or part-time, degree-seeking student for the 2020 Spring term or is currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program in the Summer 2020 semester at The University of Pittsburgh.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with explanation of financial hardship
or call 412-624-9162 with any questions.
We facilitate the inclusion of veterans, military members, and their families into the University Community by supporting recruitment, retention, comradery, and ongoing success in collaboration with like minded organizations.
Check out this job opportunity with the School of Pharmacy’s Program Evaluation and Research Unit Program
- The Office and Veteran Services and the Veterans Affinity Group are discussing a veteran mentoring program, where Pitt veterans offer support and guidance to incoming Pitt veteran students. If you have any thoughts or ideas about this effort, please contact Alisha Cuniff (email@example.com) and Ayranna Hunter-Berringer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- There will be a ReEngage Conference at the Heinz History Center on March 7th. The focus of this conference is to help veterans fulfill their potential. Aryanna Hunter-Berringer will be a featured speaker.
- The Mission Continues organization will host a female led service project at the Baldwin Library on March 21st. You can register for this here. You can also check them out on Facebook.
- This event has been canceled. Our dinner at Shepherd's Heart will be on March 22nd. Shepherd's Heart is a place for homeless veterans to get back on their feet. We are welcoming volunteers to help with food and be social with us. Let us know at email@example.com if you would like to join.
- The Warriors Rock Concert will be on March 27th. This event collects stories from local veterans and then covers their favorite music from when they served in a concert, the proceeds of which go to veteran oriented charities.
- If you have any pictures of Pitt veterans, we are looking for more to add to our Veteran Affinity Group website. Please feel free to email them to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Learn more about the leadership of the Affinity Group.
Find links to websites that provide resources and supports to veterans and their families.