Pitt Athletics is excited to announce the return of the Seats for Service program for the 2021 Football Season. We are excited to provide an opportunity to our active-duty military, veterans, first responders and their immediate families to receive complimentary tickets to our home games this season.
New for 2021, Pitt has partnered with Vet Tix to provide a more seamless request and distribution process for our fans and accommodate more service members. Vet Tix is a national non-profit, non-governmental 501c(3) tax-exempt organization. Their focus is to provide opportunities for military, veterans and first responders to go to events for free, relax and spend precious time with their families.
In order to take advantage of this ticket offer, we encourage you to visit the Vet Tix home page HERE and select the “Create an Account” option in the top right corner. Once you have created an account, you will be notified of offers in the surrounding Pittsburgh area, which will include Pitt Athletics and other great events!
Thank you for your service, and Hail to Pitt!
National Hire a Veteran Day
“I could not have asked for a better opportunity. Being in this role has allowed me to utilize the skills I developed during my time in the military. It has also allowed me to stay connected with the army.
My time with Pitt has been positive. Every person I have been in contact with on campus has been extremely helpful as I adjust to this new role.”
Jon Zito, Program Coordinator, Military Science Department/Army ROTC
“My time at the University of Pittsburgh has been positive, and my status as a veteran has been fully supported since before I started.
I greatly appreciate the people and resources that Pitt has to support its veteran population. I still come across some of the most welcoming and team-oriented people that any new employee can ask for.”
Lyron Graves, Employee Accommodation Coordinator, Disability Resources and Services
“My experience at Pitt has been a fruitful one with respect to the interviewing process, all the way up through the hiring and onboarding process.
Additionally, working for an educational institution has been awesome. The learning aspect of the job is continually at the forefront of what we do in our day-to-day jobs, tasks, and overall roles.”
Ebony Dendy, Pitt IT PPMO, Portfolio and Project Management Office
“Initially I was having some difficulties finding a new job. I decided to reach out to the Career Transition Project to see if I could get some feedback on my resume and the Pitt application process.
The University of Pittsburgh has shown that it takes its commitment to hiring veterans very seriously, along with ensuring they are supported once brough aboard. I’m very grateful to Tom Armstrong and Pitt for helping me continue to develop my professional career.”
Sam Concelman, Financial Administrator, Clinical and Translational Science Institute
VA Health Care Update
Please see this website for VA health care updates.
To our Veteran Affinity members:
I hope this letter reaches everyone in good health while we all continue to practice self-distancing.
This is a strange and challenging time. The Veteran Affinity board members as a whole is concerned about what the coronavirus pandemic means for our health, our livelihoods, our communities, and the security industry both in the short and long term. We are aware there is still a great deal of uncertainty, but Veteran Affinity board members are, as always, dedicated to making sure that our members have the information, resources, and support they need.
For the time being, we have postponed the bi-monthly meetings until further notice. However, our priority remains the same. The Veterans Affinity Group facilitates the inclusion of veterans, military members, and their families into the University Community by supporting recruitment, retention, comradery, and ongoing success in collaboration with like-minded organizations.
If your availability allows you to participate in an online communication format, please share photos, events, or words of encouragement at Pitt Commons.
To reach out to the board members for guidance, support, or to share your ideas send an email to email@example.com.
Wishing the membership, health and strength, the board members are thinking about you and your families. Stay Safe!
Veteran Affinity Chair
Shawn Ellies EdD, CPP
When I enlisted in the U.S. Army two months after the terror attacks of September 11th I had no idea that I would get more from my military experience than the honor of serving my country. I'm incredibly grateful to have found a community of battle buddies that have had my back even when times got tough.
Well, times are tough for a lot of us right now and we want you to know that we've got your six.
We've created the Pitt Vets Coronavirus Emergency Relief Fund to help members of our Pitt Vets community in this time of hardship.
Please review the eligibility requirements below and send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are experiencing a need.
If you know of a veteran outside of The University of Pittsburgh that is in need please refer them to PA Serves for potential support.
Hail to Pitt!
This We'll Defend!
Office of Veterans Services
PITT VETS CORONAVIRUS
EMERGENCY RELIEF FUND
Examples of Expenses Covered (not limited to)
- Medical necessities.
- Food insecurity.
- Overdue utility bills reaching a turn-off notice.
- Homelessness, sudden loss of housing, or imminent eviction.
- Financial hardship - could include inability to pay rent and/or utilities, food insecurities, etc.
- Up to $500 may be requested.
- Demonstrate financial hardship.
- Must not have received CARES funds.
- Was enrolled as a full-time or part-time, degree-seeking student for the 2020 Spring term or is currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program in the Summer 2020 semester at The University of Pittsburgh.
Email: email@example.com with explanation of financial hardship
or call 412-624-9162 with any questions.
We facilitate the inclusion of veterans, military members, and their families into the University Community by supporting recruitment, retention, comradery, and ongoing success in collaboration with like minded organizations.
Explore relevant job opportunites within the University of Pittsburgh.
- A Roundtable on Military Sexual Trauma will feature a panel of experts who will discuss various aspects of military sexual trauma (MST). Discussion topics will include: the #MeTooMST movement, the Vanessa Guillen Act of 2020, and how to create inclusive campus spaces for veterans who have experienced MST. Tuesday, November 17, Noon - 1:30 p.m. Register for the event.
- The Office and Veteran Services and the Veterans Affinity Group are discussing a veteran mentoring program, where Pitt veterans offer support and guidance to incoming Pitt veteran students. If you have any thoughts or ideas about this effort, please contact Alisha Cuniff (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ayranna Hunter-Berringer (email@example.com).
- There will be a ReEngage Conference at the Heinz History Center on March 7th. The focus of this conference is to help veterans fulfill their potential. Aryanna Hunter-Berringer will be a featured speaker.
- The Mission Continues organization will host a female led service project at the Baldwin Library on March 21st. You can register for this here. You can also check them out on Facebook.
- This event has been canceled. Our dinner at Shepherd's Heart will be on March 22nd. Shepherd's Heart is a place for homeless veterans to get back on their feet. We are welcoming volunteers to help with food and be social with us. Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join.
- The Warriors Rock Concert will be on March 27th. This event collects stories from local veterans and then covers their favorite music from when they served in a concert, the proceeds of which go to veteran oriented charities.
- If you have any pictures of Pitt veterans, we are looking for more to add to our Veteran Affinity Group website. Please feel free to email them to email@example.com!
Take a look at pictures from some of our past events.
Learn more about the leadership of the Affinity Group.
Find links to websites that provide resources and supports to veterans and their families.